Pages

August 29, 2007

Comedy of Errors

If it can happen, Murphy's Law, yada yada. You get the drift. Piddled away the morning trying to make decent window coverings out of existing curtains. Strong on kitchen curtains; don't think they'll work. However, I can put shutters at the bottom of the windows and try to fashion something for the top.

Enough piddling. Got to get fingerprinted. UT Martin, Ripley Center, will open soon. Swing through the lot to see if there is a sign of human life. Where do I put in an application? No one around. Construction workers look at me real strange. Still a foreigner. On to the Board of Education.

Make a smart crack about should have brought my fingerprints. Another strange look. "Well, if you have them, bring them. It will save you $48 dollars." $48 dollars!! Payable today??? "No, it will be taken out of your first paycheck." Now, you and I both know that I don't have $48. Period. Why didn't they say that when they told me to bring the application, transcript, and id? Not to worry. I just saw those prints the other day. Haul to the car.

Inside the house trying to figure out where I "filed" them. Sweating because 1) I've turned off the air and 2) I don't have a clue as to where they could be. Could I have thrown them out by mistake like I did with a job application? Nope, here they are. Haul to the car.

Proudly display my prints. "Oh, I can't use that. I need the report." Report? Report and prints are two different things. Okay, deep breath. Maybe I can get the report from MPD. I doubt it but hope springs eternal. I'm given forms to drop at the different schools to let them know that I am available. I'll have to provide a physical if I'm used. A physical? There ain't no health insurance up in here. If there were, I would have been at the dentist months ago. Is there anything else I haven't been told?

Pay is $55. Take away $48 and the total is $7 for the day. Less than a dollar an hour. Factor in gas and the first day is free labor. Can I please catch a break? Prison, why don't you call me? You know I got what you need. Send an email to MPD asking how to get a copy of the prints. Maybe they will respond. More likely they won't. Surprise me, DC!

Scour the newspapers. Lauderdale County has two, both of which are published on Wednesdays. I can get a job: a) driving a truck b) as general labor in a nearby plant c) as a nurse's aide or d) as a janitor. I went to college for this? Oh, they need someone to teach GED classes. Might as well take a chance.

Rain!!! A brief shower but still, moisture from the sky! Waiting and watching my ceiling with great fear and trepidation, covers at the ready. Nothing. Thank you, dear Jesus.

Signed up for a free web seminar from Ancestry.com for this evening at 6 p.m. Yeah, I'm still dabbling with the Brock and Powe lines. Anyway, it is 6 p.m. and I dial 'em up. Hellooo! It is 6 p.m. MOUNTAIN daylight time. Puleeze. I'll be in dreamland by then.

Wrote my blog, proofed it, went to publish and NOTHING! I forgot to save it first. Give me a break. So here it is. Oh, and the congressman from Idaho? You can fool some of the people some of the time....

No comments: