Pages

December 04, 2011

Bits and Pieces

Prolonged use of the computer contributes to arm pain.  Learned that the hard way.  So, a lot of which I had to relate has been forgotten.  Mark it up to old age or perhaps it wasn't really that important.

PT ends this week. It has been both a relief and torture...especially when the therapist or an exercise aggravated a very sore spot.  And who would have thought that I would submit willingly to electric shock?  I'm sure that is not the term for it but they hook you up to electrodes and a pulsing wave of electricity is directed to the affected areas.  Relief.  It's a shame that I can't bring it home with me. More relief is in store as I move from the cashier spot to the fitting room and door greeter positions.  Moving down the career ladder instead of up.  I'll take it.  Anything to relieve the pain and restore, as far as possible, full use of my arm.

So what happened on Black Friday?  Folks went wild all over the place.  Thankfully, I missed all of the action. By the time I arrived at 3:45 a.m., the fights over the towels and other items were over.  The store was quiet and being restored to a presentable state.  There was a steady stream of traffic but no overwhelming crowds.  Some folks had been through and were returning for a second round. Get a life!

Thievery is as much of the Christmas season as anything.  A young woman stole an Ipad the other night; however, the staff was quick enough to get the tag number of the car which drove her away.  Cameras on cell phones are amazing (although we're not supposed to have them on the sales floor).  The driver quickly returned to the store and the passenger jumped out and ran.  As I left work, the police were diligently searching the fields adjacent to the store.  I learned the next day that she had been apprehended, caught laying in a ditch and, when brought back to the store, had stolen $600 worth of merchandise, including the boots she had on.

I have never seen so many pecans in my life! They are everywhere.  I've decided that I need to try to sell them.  Have to get them off of the ground, first.  Not making a lot of progress.  The snow we received threw a major dent in those plans. Yes, snow!  Fat, heavy snowflakes which started mid-day Monday and went on throughout the night.  Heavy enough to break my clothes line and a medium-sized branch off of one of the magnolias. And...knock down any remaining pecans. The scenery was breathtaking in the early morning hours.  Lawd, Lawd.  People with buckets are appearing in the most unlikely places.  I've learned that there is a pecan tree on the corner of the library's lot and there is one on the lot at the end of the street.  Never noticed them.

It must have been those pesky leaves and cones falling on my neighbor's property which caused her to put her home up for sale.  Surprise, surprise, when the sign and a moving van appeared simultaneously. She's lived in that house for almost 50 years...a regular recluse. Understand that she's moving to Memphis with her sister.  Hmmm.  It is a well-maintained brick rambler on a corner lot.  If the inside looks anything like the outside, someone will get a steal for the listed price...1/2 of what I thought it would be listed for. Oh, for some money.

Broke out the Christmas tree and sorting through decorations. Definitely giving a nod to the season this year.  Had an opportunity to visit the home of one of Ripley's "leading" citizens and the trees are amazing. There are trees and decorations everywhere.  Beautiful.  Serendipity's decor will be very understated. Putting up decorations is fun; taking them down is a pain. 

Took in a portion of the Gospel Choirs' performance at the Big Rip's amphitheater last night.  The Square is  decorated and very pretty lit up at night. The night was perfect for the performance; nippy but not too cold.    Santa Claus was the M.C., and hot chocolate was available. Five churches had been asked to perform. Sometimes musical events like this just thrill the soul.  I wasn't thrilled. Some of the hymns had been rearranged (leave them alone); others were too long, or the soloist screamed into the mike. (Blanche Hammond, you are not the only choir director with that problem.)  One of the benefits of living so close to the Square is the ability to walk over and back for events.  Now, if we could just get some decent boutiques, etc., to lease those empty storefronts.

Please say a prayer for the editor of the newspaper who is hospitalized.  I noticed a call from the paper on my phone a few weeks ago and thought that it was a mistake, especially since there was no message.  I'll always wonder if he was calling for help.

And help is what the Cain family needs at this time.  It greatly annoys me to hear me continuously refer to the "allegations" as charges from "troubled" women. If they were so damned "troubled," Mr. Astute Businessman, Motivational Speaker Extraordinaire, why didn't you run the other way? Why did you make your overtures (excuse me, alleged overtures)? And 13 years of trouble? I guess you were the savior?  Way to go Cain.

Wishing you a blessed Sunday.  Be safe.  Be Blessed.

No comments: