Pages

February 15, 2014

Endings and Beginnings

Well, boys and girls, all things, good and bad, must come to an end.  So with that in mind, I bid adieu to my employer of six and a half years, Walmart, on February 13th.  WHAT? WHAT? Yep, you read that correctly. Sistah Girl is fully retired.

What brought that on, you ask?  The idea had been percolating for some time but the time schedule for leaving got bumped up, unexpectedly.  Isn't that always the way?  If you'll remember, I stepped down from the full-time position of Personnel Coordinator to work part-time three years ago.  I wanted the ability to travel, work in my yard, complete renovations to the homestead (fondly referred to as "Serendipity"), and explore my surroundings.  Needed that health insurance, however, so total retirement was not an option.

Plodding right along, meeting new people, life was good.  But the body started to rebel against the lifting, standing and walking for extended periods.  A pain pill before going to work on some days; definitely a pain pill to get through the shift or after.  Shots to the shoulder and hip; therapy; pain patches.  Limping, falling into seats, unable to rise, because the hip wasn't working.  Constant pain in the lower back and shoulder.  Was it really worth it?

A resounding "NO."  Aging is definitely a factor in the above scenario. But...if the use of medication doesn't relate to a serious medical disorder, the heart, blood pressure, cholesterol, etc., and other options are available?  The choice was made; notice given. As usual, I'm stepping out on faith.  Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths. Proverbs 3: 5-6.

What now, you ask?  First, I have to adjust to having nothing to do.  Okay, okay.  The house needs cleaning.  Patches needs a daily walk.  Cleaning, maybe; daily walk?  When the weather gets better.  Next, I've got to do some serious belt tightening.  Impulse buying?  As Gladys and the Pips sang, "Giving Up Is So Hard To Do."  Got to rein it in.  

I took a trip to the Digital Factory, relatively new in Ripley, which affords opportunities for customer rep telecommuting positions.  We'll see where that goes.  A little income to offset those horrendous bills from Ripley Power and Light, for the hair, yard, and cigs would be nice.  And...wait for it...I decided to finally put my skills to use.  Hanging out my shingle:





Choosing the logo was the easy part. Developing a marketing plan, fee structure, yada yada, will be a little more difficult and time consuming.   Looking at similar services and  evaluating what works for them and what could work for me.  

I'm looking forward to doing the things mentioned above.  Am I excited?  Y E S!   Afraid?  N O T!  
 "For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Jer 29:11 (NIV)

Be safe.  Be Blessed!

No comments: