Pages

May 02, 2021

September--A Deadly Month

I used to love September, but now it just rhymes with remember. 
Dominic Riccitello


I had the general framework planned for this blog and then life intervened. My mother used to say: "Make no plans; don't be disappointed." How true. What was to be a tribute to one person who passed on September 18, has turned into a tribute to many; hence, the morbid title.

2020 has been unkind to families all over the world because of the corona virus, COVID-19, which has taken the lives of many. 200,000 lives in the United States alone, as of today, Sept. 19, 2020. 200,000 lives lost due to incompetent bungling by the leader of the free world but that's a subject for another day. 


Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg, the "notorious RBG", passed on the 18th and plunged many into untold grief. Why? Most didn't know her personally, rather, we knew of her. We knew that she was the second woman appointed to the Supreme Court and that she was a Bill Clinton appointee. A fierce advocate of equality rights, she was the role model for little girls and women . We knew that she was a warrior, having battled inequality in the workplace and a battle with cancer numerous times. Tributes are pouring in but I share with you President Barack Obama's statement: Obama's Statement Ruth Bader Ginsburg. You may also enjoy Vanity Fair's article:  Ruth Bader Ginsburg



And then there was the the transition of a friend, Alonzo Beard, who
passed on September 9th. Not a national figure but beloved in the community.  He and his wife, Diane, often joined Jimmy and I for small get-togethers.  Alderman, husband, father, brother and uncle in a humongous family, Sigma, Purple Heart recipient, whist player extraordinaire, TSU graduate, oh, my, and the list goes on.  He loved to garden and the flowers surrounding his house were amazing.  And, Lord, did he love to eat. His laugh was infectious and will be missed. R I P, my friend.

And, this month, icons from my youth transitioned, as well.  Helen Reddy, of "I Am Woman" fame. Martin Milner, Route 66 and Adam-54, fame. Lou Brock, Gale Sayers, Mac Davis, Ronald Bell, Diana Rigg, Bob Gibson, Tom Seaver, thank you for providing so many hours of entertainment. And, though he passed at the end of August, I cannot overlook the transition of a beloved D.C., icon--Coach John Thompson. If you don't know him, I can't tell you.  RIP.

 
Finally, September will always be the most deadly month to me because a year ago, on the 18th, my best friend, my lodestar, my strength, gained his wings. He often said that I was one of the strongest women that he knew. He was so wrong. It has been a terrible, emotionally-racking year.  Memories come fast and furious. Small things; big things. I miss the smell of his cologne, his unconditional support, the phone calls, his smile, sense of humor and infuriating practical jokes. His presence. 


They say that it gets better. I'm not sure. 

All the best.

No comments: