Pages

July 30, 2021



"Some people come into our lives and leave footprints on our hearts and we are never ever the same." ~ Flavia Weedn


I thought that I was all out of tears but learning of Ernie's passing brought them forth again. His death is the third in six months among friends whom I've known for forever. The circle is getting too damn small.

Ernie and Inez, what a great couple to know. They bought a unit on the ground floor of the condominium and I purchased a unit on the top floor, in the early 80s. "Miz Gwennie" to Inez; "Buttah" to Ernie. Inez dubbed me "Miss Take Charge" because I was also the president of the association. We tried to organize the condo community, well, Ernie and I did. Inez was our support. The condo had a community room so he and I planned movie nights, game nights, football game get-togethers, parties and barbecues on the patio; Christmas Carols in the lobby. It was a failed endeavor; however. We eventually left that condo, taking different paths, but remaining friends.

Everett, Ernie's brother, also had a condo there. The two brothers were die-hard Redskins fans and Everett had a joke for everything. On the night of the Buster Douglas fight (which he lost), Everett proclaimed "Buster got busted." Jimmy and I would laugh about that many times over.

Inez was the first to go. Pancreatic cancer took her away. Such a sweet soul. Everett passed a few years ago. Then Jimmy and, now, Ernie. That entire branch of friendship is gone.

In February of this year, Shirley and Albert, died within a week of each other. I met Shirley Fletcher, Albert Eggleston, his wife, Joyce, and the entire Thornton/Fletcher/ Eggleston family in 1973. I don't know how Joyce is holding up having lost her only sister and her husband. I guess that her faith is sustaining her. Me? I just can't stop crying.

So many memories. So many footprints. 

All the best.


No comments: