November 15, 2007

Papa Was a Rolling Stone

Neither rain, nor hail, or swirling winds kept Cindy, aka Piss-Ant, from delivering a litter of 5 puppies. Only one has her markings; the rest are a solid, dark color. Child support is needed.

Cindy created her nest and settled in while the surrogate mother (that would be me) worried about her being under the tree, whether the groundhogs would attack, yada yada. Drove down to Wal-Mart for a dog house--she can't stay outside and she surely can't have them inside. A coworker convinced me that a doghouse was probably a waste of money because she probably wouldn't use it. Back home. Then the weather went wild. The temperature was a balmy 71 degrees when, bam, the rain and winds arrived flushing her from her spot. She was so pitiful-looking, soaking wet and shivering. I took a box, piece of rug, and old blanket to the garage and put her in there to escape the elements. Still not comfortable with that arrangement but at least she was out of the rain. Absolutely no idea when these babies are due.

Back to Wal-Mart. I'm due on the clock in 40 minutes and I'm trying to get a dog house. Man, the things I do. Back to the house, put in the rug, etc., girlfriend jumps in and gets comfortable. I'm off to work. I won't say that I worried about her during my shift but she wasn't far from my mind.

Get back to the house and no acknowledgment from the guest quarters until I got closer and was treated to a growl. You're kidding me! I've spent my last dollars on something I can't use and risked being late for work to be growled at? Her back is to the opening, she's vigorously licking something and I can't tell whether she's delivered, in labor, or what. Oh, well. This is beyond my area of expertise. Make sure there's water in the dish and retire.

Up early this a.m. to put out food for the mommy. Girlfriend hopped out of the house, pronto. She was starved. I can believe that. While she scarfed, I was able to peek inside the house. Five little puppies--good grief, she wasn't that big--all huddled together and no bigger than the palm of my hand. I don't know how she's going to maneuver in that space because it is not that big but I'm sure she'll figure it out. Needless to say, she didn't stay out too long. A good thing because the temperature is a chilly 41 degrees. I need to figure out how to get rid of that wet material without getting bit. The temperature will only get to 60 and drop again tonight.

In case you haven't figured this out, this is my first experience with doggy motherhood. All advice and suggestions will be gratefully appreciated.

No comments: