Pages

July 17, 2009

So Much To Tell, Part 2

Well, here we are. A bright, clear, gorgeous Sunday morning. My plans are too many: paint the hand railing to the street; weed out the flower beds; clean the dining room floor; hook up the camera to the computer; iron; yada yada. The odds of any of that getting done are slim next to none. Maybe one or two but all of them? Nah!

Heard from people absent far too long--good talking to the Bowman's. Missed you. Heard from a soror from the distant past. And friends in NYC and Detroit. 'Wood, I don't know about your fair city of Detroit. If Chicago is corrupt, what the hell is Detroit? Good grief! Rep. John Conyers' wife accused of taking bribes?

Explored, unintentionally, a portion of TN. My goodness, this state is huge! You can drive forever and not get anywhere. Had to go to Humboldt; 3 counties over. I could've been in Richmond, VA, by the time I got there. Was advised to go through Lauderdale County and over, rather than drive to Brownsville and over (the only way that I know). Over hill and dale, and then some. Maury City, Alamo, and some other little towns in between. Corn fields, other emerald-green fields sprouting only God knows what; magnificent houses rising out of the fields; and then, regular "little" houses. The landscapes of most were immaculately manicured. Something that I've noticed down here. The house can be nondescript but the landscaping is impeccable.

Still haven't gotten used to having the entire road to myself. I understand why the folks get nervous about driving in traffic. Refusing to drive in Memphis. I thought it was the crime situation. It's not. It's the merging and congestion which is the problem. They aren't used to it. I'm not used to not having a car in sight, much less a gas station, or knowing where I am. That's my fear--city driving? It's a breeze.

So I get to Humboldt and have lunch with my "mentor," pick up my drapes for the dining room, and give up on driving to Jackson, a mere 40 minutes away. Sheez! As much as I love to drive, that was just too much driving (to spend money) for the kid. And, I'd still have to drive home. You need to pack a picnic lunch and prepare to be away all day to do any shopping down in this neck of the woods. No quick dashes to the mall. There aren't any unless you are in a major community.

Decided that I could get my hair cut in the Humboldt Wally and cut it, she did. SHORT! But even. I'm convinced that the concept of layering is no longer being taught in the beauty schools. I swear that I'm going to have to drive back to D.C., and visit Rene. However, she did what she was told. The back lays flat.

Partied hard to a cd of MJ's number one hits. Larry King asked Dionne Warwick if Michael could sing. I had forgotten what a very pure he had, clearly heard on the ballads. Forgotten because they didn't make a party pop the way the Bad, Billy Jean, Thriller, etc., did. And I surely enjoyed listening to, probably for the first time, the music in the background--the guitar riffs, drums, etc. And am I the only one in the world who didn't know that he invented and patented the device which allowed him to do that outrageous lean in "Smooth Criminal"?

From Wikipedia: The effect in the video when Jackson and the dancers lean forward a seemingly impossible distance was achieved using special harnesses with wires and magnets. It was desired to replice this effect for Jackson's stage show, but it would have been more obvious and cumbersome to use wire harnesses in a live performance. Jackson and his team devised an alternative way to achieve the effect on stage. The props needed for their technique were patented in the United States by Jackson in 1993, and consist of pegs that rise from the stage at the appropriate moment, and special shoes with ankle supports and cutouts in the heels which can slide over the pegs and be thereby attached to the stage temporarily. These allow the performers to lean without needing to keep their centers of gravity directly over their feet. According to Patent Storm, the patent expires on June 29, 2012.

Thanks, Dee, for sending me the information. Time to give him his due. Brilliant.

And I reflected on the death of Walter Cronkite. I remember all too well that the tv in the White household was always tuned to him for the news and that he delivered most of the milestones in my youth. It hardly seems that 1981 was the year of his last broadcast. It seems that everyone I watched on stage and screen is passing on--Gale Storm, among them. Have I lived too long? It's a rhetorical question, folks.

I've decided not to put you through my ordeal. I'm hoping that the arrival of a new manager will bring stability and order to the routine. Putting on my prayer armor for tomorrow. Need to gird up. Thanks for all the positive, encouraging remarks. I will surely need them. Trust in the Lord with all your heart and He will direct your paths. Be blessed.

No comments: