Pages

July 21, 2010

Hazardous to My Health

Working overnight, that is. Sleep deprivation and driving on Route 19 can be deadly as many have learned and I came close to finding out.

I started working a few nights this week to ready records for shipment to storage.  Why overnight?  Because you can't get anything done during the day with the phone ringing nonstop ("I want to check on my application."), replacing lost badges, fixing time, and all of the other issues.  So, try as I might on Sunday, I could not get to sleep.  By 4 a.m. on Monday morning, I was a walking zombie.  By 7 a.m., I was staggering and my feet felt as though they had been encased in cement.

Gratefully made my way to the car and Rt. 19.  Serendipity here I come!  Eventually.  A line of cars on 19, behind farm equipment, and I'm going less than 40 miles an hour.  Just slow enough to easily succumb to the powerful need to close my eyes and sleep.  Nod.  Jerk awake.  Nod.  Weave.  Lawd a mercy!  Talking about praying my way home and being ever so thankful to make it without accident. 

Two hours of sleep and I'm wide awake.  Oh, no!  This is not happening.  I cannot stay awake; I must get some sleep.  Two more hours.  Errands to run.  Back home and another attempt to sleep.  Two hours.  Don't see how the overnight crew does it. 

Years ago, while working nights at the P.O., we would ingest huge quantities of "NoDoze."  Do they still make it?  Wait a minute, Steve Harvey's nephew, Tommy, keeps pushing "5 Hour Energy Drink."  Worth a try.  Folks, let me tell you, this is not another of Tommy's Punks.  The stuff actually works.  I am here to testify. 

After lunch, with a severe case of ass-ite-is, I downed the 2-ounce-bottle.  No rush; no jitters.  Just the ability to function clearly and easily.  More importantly, I was able to drive home safely.  Alriiight, Nephew Tommy!  This is a winner.  

Be safe.  Be Blessed!

No comments: