Pages

December 27, 2010

The Holidays Aren't Over

Nope, not by a long shot.  To my friends and family up north, you might as well keep on celebrating because you won't be going anywhere for a while.  Man, did you ever get some snow!  Keep it...please.  I keep trying to assure everyone here that I don't miss the weather the way that they think I do.  Wasn't I lulled into thinking that this area had a "mild" winter.  Mild meaning less snow, I assume.

“Each year one vicious habit discarded, in time might make the worst of us good.”
     —Benjamin Franklin

Saw this quote on another website and think that the folks at Wally, management and staff alike, need to read and heed.  See they are still ushering my chil'ren out the door.  And before I get into the rant, let me say that I tell each and every person who comes through my orientation the same things:  1) Don't mess with Wally's money or things; there is nothing in the store worth going to jail over.  2) Wally does prosecute.  Please don't let me see you going out of here in handcuffs. 3) You might get away with it once, twice, or three times, but you will get caught.  How much more plain can I make it?  And do they listen?  NOOOO!  So, today, they paraded 2 out, in handcuffs, down the center aisle, and out the door.  I saw red.  Why? Because it is always the Blacks who get paraded out with Bubba bringing up the rear...looking self-righteous.  And it is always the sucker-upper, discussed in a previous post, who has her hand in it.

Now, don't get me wrong.  I've already told you not to steal and, if you do, no pity for you. But the slightest whiff of inequality gets the hackles up.  So, Alpha Male and I had to have a discussion.  I needed for him to assure me that I wasn't seeing what my lying eyes were telling me that I was seeing.  A calm discussion, SF. So, he did his best to convince me that my lying eyes were doing just that.  And what it comes down to, as always, is how it is handled.  To keep my job, I'll leave it at that. But, it is a mighty fine line that you're walking. Good thing we're in Tennessee.  Lawsuits would be flying.

So back to the holidays.  The folks at the store put on a Christmas breakfast, as they do every year.  This is an employee function.  Everyone brings a dish. Did I say that these women can cook?  I was thoroughly whipped from my stint on the cash register and opted for a nap when I came in.  At 11 p.m., I am in my kitchen peeling potatoes.  Why, oh why, did I volunteer potatoes and onions?  Do you know the last time that I've peeled 5 pounds of potatoes?  And do you know the next time that it will happen? I'd bought 10 lbs. but that quickly proved to be a foolish thought.  By the time that I toddled back to my bed, around 1 or 2 a.m., I had a blister on the forefinger and several scores on the thumb.  Dropped my dish in the break room and asked that they save me a plate, minus eggs. I had cashier duty, remember? Country ham, thick slabs of bacon, pancakes, quiche, sausage balls, biscuits with white gravy (is that sausage gravy?) and more.  Including the potatoes and onions which, I'm told, were good.  Surprise.  I can cook.  I just don't do it as much, anymore. And, I'll be the first to admit, don't cook 1/3 as good as these women.

Christmas Eve was a madhouse.  Everybody and their mama was doing the last minute thing.  Been there; done that, so it is not a criticism. But the arm and back were screaming.  I went out to have my cig, noticed that my shoe was untied.  Bent over to tie it and had a hell of a time straightening back up.  Do I really want to step back to cashier duties?  And, please tell me why people don't put things on the belt in any semblance of order?  Meaning that food items, toys, clothing, everything is just thrown on the belt.  And why do they put the damned gift cards on the belt?  You know that they're going to get caught.  And, if you are paying for your food items with an EBT card, and the rest by cash, check, credit card, whatever, why get mad at the cashier because it all came off of the EBT card?  We don't know what you meant to do.  Please.

Speaking of cards, if you qualify for the EBT card, why do you have a wallet full of credit cards?  I don't understand.  Truly, I don't.  I must be doing something wrong.

Finally, is there some reason why every flag for the great state of Tennessee is tattered, torn, and faded? Just asking.

I needed to receive Joel Osteen's prayer for the day 'cause I'm still seething over the treatment of my chil'ren.  Sharing it with you:  Father God, I know that You have a wonderful plan and purpose for me. I desire to be in right standing with You. Show me Your ways and teach me to walk righteously before You. Shine Your light in my heart and give me strength to pursue the path You have for me. In Jesus’ Name. Amen.

Be Safe.  Be Blessed.

No comments: