Pages

February 24, 2011

Treasure Trove

Ya' never know what you might find around here.  Pulling into the driveway, the other night, I thought I caught a glimpse of a vacuum cleaner tucked around the corner of the garage.  Couldn't be; my eyes are deceiving me.  Then I thought, OMG, they've broken into the house, AGAIN, and stashed what they couldn't get away with on the side of the building.  Anger and fear.  Curiosity and determination. 

Parked the car and checked the cubbyholes.  Don't want anyone jumping out or coming up behind me.  Around the corner of the garage.  WTH?   Someone has stashed a vacuum cleaner, an electric heater, and a fan.  All of the comforts of home neatly placed beside the building.  Can't see it from the street and the bet is that I wouldn't see it either.  But, I did, and promptly took somebody's belongings to the curb for disposal.  Not only is my home a sanctuary for wild animals but now it is becoming a storage center.  Give me a damn break!

On the same evening, I was asked to look over an article relating some of the African American heritage of the Big Rip.  Wow! Based on what the community resembles now, I would never have expected to learn that there was once a thriving Black-owned business center.  Now, this is known as a tease.  I'll post the article as soon as I get permission.  Very interesting.

However, my visit to the Black History program, at the Alex Haley House Museum and Interpretive Center, in Henning, was a major find.  Local musical and poetic talent were presented, as well as polished dance teams from two churches.  An impersonation of Harriet Tubman's life, done by Estella Jackson, of Jackson, TN, was wonderful.  Did you know that she led 300 slaves to freedom without losing a one along the way?  Then, Richard Griffin, who possesses a magnificent voice, led us through a history of the Negro spiritual.  While I'd learned much of this in my African American classes, his presentation held the interest of all, including me.  And I learned that "Lift Every Voice and Sing" is NOT the Negro National Anthymn but, rather, the official song of the NAACP. Didn't know that did you?  Very few of us know at Alexander Pushkin, a noted poet, was Black, either.  Look him up. The gentleman who provided that information, reading from three of Pushkin's poems, has a voice well-suited for public speaking. Congratulations to the program coordinator, Beverly Johnson, for putting together such a well-rounded and informative program.

Have you any treasure stories to share?  Hit me up through the comment button.  Be safe.  Be Blessed.

No comments: