Pages

September 19, 2011

Never-ending

With the change in weather--hard to believe that it is mid-September--the broken window in the dining room came to mind.  It has been on the "to do" list since it disintegrated but other repairs consistently pushed it to the bottom of the pile.  Now's the time to get it done.  So...let's get estimates, shall we?

Let's see now...one estimate is for over $600 (it's an odd size), plus installation; another is for about $200, plus installation fee. Much better.  Okay, calling the window discounters (since 3 definitely need replacing) to see what they have to say.  And while I'm waiting for their estimator, let's figure out how to pay for this thing. Ripley Power and Light has financed replacement windows since the beginning of time...until I called.  "Oh, we stopped that program about a year ago."  Damn, day late, dollar short.

Estimator shows up from the discounter.  "Lots of history, here."  Friendly chap; no pressure.  So we start to figure. A minimum of 4 windows is necessary to make it cost-effective for the distance traveled, you say? Well, then, here's 5; let's go for 8. Missy has lost her mind.  Not to worry.  The new law concerning lead paint is in effect and they really don't want to touch it, particularly since I won't let them take the bars down to install them from the outside.  Why not, you ask?  Because they can't guarantee that they can get them back on.  Sheez!  Back to the drawing board.

The need for bars became even more abundantly clear as I went to the laundry area after letting the salesman out of the front.  Why is this man running up my driveway, down the path, and across the yard?  Seeing me didn't deter him one iota.  No, Siree.  Kept running just as if it was his regular routine.  I want to know if others (like the police or someone with a gun) are behind him.  But before I stopped to look, I thought it would behoove me to completely lock all of the back doors.  I have no idea where he went.  Damn! Am I the only one whose yard is used as a thoroughfare?

A new "yard man"  answered my call for help.  Lawd, Lawd, where has this man been?   I'm afraid to sing his praises too soon but there were no haystacks left behind; the paths and drains were blown clear; walkways were edged (even along the curb--hear that, Rev?) and, Mercy, he even tackled the mounds of leaves and cones under the magnolias. Plus, he took all the debris away.  Lawd, Lawd, I have died and gone to heaven. I lost a few day lilies on the hill but they can be replaced come Spring.

What happened to the riding mower, you ask?  Had to go to the shop.  Yep. Even after calling the manufacturer about the battery, its location, size, etc., I had to call the good folks up the street for help.  Couldn't find that damned battery anywhere.  Well, Missy, it does use a 12-volt, right? Yes, it does.  Unfortunately, not the one you and I thought.  Noooo...this bad boy is the size of a video cassette tape and costs as much as the one I put in Abby!  So much for calling the manufacturer.  The battery, repair fee, and payment to the "yard man" equaled 1/3 of the cost of the mower.  Sheez! Took the 12-volt riding mower back to Wally for a refund.

The cotton is high; the pecan tree is loaded.  The bushes which produce the apple-like fruit are doing their thing.  Think I'll swing past the extension service and see just what the hell they are.  Not getting any help from my gardening associates at Wally. The squirrel has made use of the new swing--guess he figured somebody needed to use it. 

It seems that repairs at Serendipity are an ongoing affair. Thank God that the stove works. Having folks over stirred up the "cooking from scratch" syndrome.  Made a big pot of gumbo.  Um um good.  Coconut cake with pineapple filling in the works.

Here are two videos for you to enjoy.  One shows the area around Nutbush, home of Tina Turner; the other shows Ripley's sendoff of the Military Police unit. 



Be safe.  Be Blessed.

No comments: