Pages

May 10, 2012

The Masters

After watching  Masterpiece Theatre's Little Dorrit, this winter, I decided to revisit some of Charles Dickens' writings. All agree that Dickens was a master of his craft. I was introduced to him at an early age...my mother had a small collection of his novels and I remember curling up on the back porch, during the summer, and escaping into his stories.  Too young to understand the plots, twists and turns, or the era in which they were written.  Later, several books were required reading in school but they were read solely with the thought of getting through the course...not for enjoyment.

So I ordered up two of the books from my past: A Tale of Two Cities and Great Expectations. A fitting analogy of my life so far.  Finished A Tale of Two Cities and must read it again.  Why, you ask?  Because it is a difficult read.  So many subplots and the language of the day, most confusing, but intriguing.  My suggestion is to find a copy written in "everyday" language, if possible.

From one master of his craft to another. Dolph Smith, is an acclaimed artist, teacher, and long-time resident of Ripley, TN.  Who knew?  Mr. Smith was approached earlier this year, by the sports director of CBS, to create a series of watercolors depicting the famous images of the Augusta National Golf Course for its production of this year's Masters Golf Tournament. And I was asked by a friend to write an article on his experience for the local newspaper.

I am not a writer, per se. As an English major, I have the basic skills for putting together a clear, concise, sentence. My experience with National Geographic gave me great research skills and an interest in the world around me.  Relating Mr. Smith's experience from a hodgepodge of sentences was a little daunting.  What a challenge! Through the exchange of a few emails, I pulled together a short piece which met Mr. Smith's approval. It appeared in The Lauderdale Voice, last week, without my byline.  Does that mean that I didn't write it?

I have no idea why my mother had the collection of books, whether they were given to her by someone whose house she cleaned or if she acquired them as a part of her schooling.  I know that she completed a year of college before marriage and my birth derailed her plans for the future (which were never discussed).  I thank her for my introduction to the works of Charles Dickens and thank my friend, who was roundly cursed at the time, for the opportunity to become "published."

Be Safe.  Be Blessed.

No comments: