Pages

September 30, 2012

47%

Lots has been made of Willard "Mitt" Romney's proclamation that 47% of the country feel that they are entitled to handouts.  That's my paraphrase of his infamous speech but if you missed the exact words, click on the video:


Now, I don't know about most of the 47% but, speaking for me, I guess I straddle the line between being one of the 47% and one of the 53%.  I pay every tax known to man except for state tax...TN doesn't have one. Oh, and the capital gains tax that RMoney does pay because I don't have income from stocks and bonds. 

Most of the people whom I know pay taxes. They either work or have worked a steady job (in some instances two or three).  I know that I schlepped between a full-time job and a part-time job several times just to make ends meet.  Think of the people you know who are working and selling Avon, Tupperware, insurance, real estate, travel, etc., on the side.  Just working for the hell of it. No jet skis, yachts, dancing horses, for the minions.  So when it comes time to collect that entitlement check, most of us are, indeed, entitled. We're not victims. We don't feel that the government owes us anything other than what we've worked for.  But there's always an exception. Someone who just doesn't get it. And makes it hard for those just trying to exist from day to day.

What brings this on, you ask?  A former co-worker who is young enough to be my child proclaimed that  she doesn't have to work. WHAT?  I work. I don't want to...but I do. And she doesn't  have to work? She is fully capable of working. No health issues or disabilities. Hasn't paid into the system for 40 or more years like so many of us have. Hell, she isn't even 40 years old. Now, her spouse?  From what I can see, he seems to enjoy being disabled. Excessively obese, with the attendant health issues and doesn't appear to be in a corrective mode. According to her, her oldest joined the military and she doesn't have to work any more. What about the others? Just what is the source of income?  Not that it is any of my business.

She must belong to the 47% referred to so scathingly by RMoney.  And I can guarantee you that she will vote for RMoney. 

Be Safe. Be Blessed.








No comments: