Pages

October 07, 2012

Crying Uncle

I know that there is a reason for the season known as Autumn or Fall.  But waking up to a temperature of 41 degrees is a complete bummer.

The temperature, yesterday, rose to a roaring 55 degrees, around 3 p.m. I stayed close to the portable heater, clad in double layers of everything. Out came the blanket.  Resorted to old-school tactics for sources of heat. I baked biscuits to get heat from the oven. I had cooked a pot of beans last Monday, a rainy day, so there was nothing to simmer for hours on the top of stove. Temporary measures, for sure, but I was determined not to turn on the 220-volt heaters.  I need at least a month's respite from the Ripley Power and Light bills.

The heater stayed on all night. It barely knocked the chill off of the room but I was warm and toasty under the covers. But come morning...the temperature is still cold.  I won't even dignify it as chilly.  47 degrees at 10 a.m. See, high ceilings, beautiful as they may be, don't extend to warmth during the winter or coolness during the summer.

Don't get me wrong. I love to see the trees change. I like to see the fall decorations that the folks in these parts create. I am even anticipating the "crop" of pecans which will soon fall everywhere.  It was fun seeing the little kiddies come from the nursery school and assemble, on hay bales, by the pear tree next door for story telling.

But I don't like the shortened hours of daylight or the need to layer up.  I'm not ready to weather-proof the windows and seal the exterior doors. My flower beds are glorious. So why do we need this season?  Somewhere in the dim recesses of my mind, I remember being told why in school.  However, I can't give you a coherent answer. So, I did a short "google" for the reason. Nada, nothing, to satisfy my disgruntled attitude. I don't want to know about the axis of the earth and solstices.  I just want a clear-cut, short, answer as to why I (we) go through this agony every year.

I'll keep looking.  In the meantime, faced with condensation on the windows and cold fingertips, I considered the options.  Cold or warm?  No contest. Warm, it is.  Heaters are on. UNCLE!

Be Safe. Be Blessed.


No comments: