Pages

December 02, 2012

Taking the Best

God's garden must be beautiful, He always takes the best.
Ruth Cohill will be laid to rest today, December 2, leaving behind a host of devastated friends, family members, coworkers, and more. At age 37, she lost her life in a tragic, freak, accident when a deer, struck by another car, was thrown into her vehicle. Lord, Lord.

Exciting, pleasant, vibrant, committed, talented, active, caring, are all adjectives which do little to describe the very essence of this young woman. Involved in every civic activity: Carl Perkins; National Night Out; The Exchange Club; Rotary Club; local chambers, you name it...Ruth was in it. It became commonplace to see her picture in every issue of the local papers. Professionally, she was the driving force behind the Ripley TN Technology Center's guidance and recruitment program. This, in addition to working on her Ph.D and taking care of her elderly mother. She packed more living in her short lifetime than most of the people that I know. Where did she find the time?

I met Ruth a year ago this month. We talked about her trip to Italy and she showed me several pictures, including one of a young lady she and her friend "adopted" as she was traveling on her own. We talked about the things we'd like to see come about in town--a Black book club--among other things. "But I can't start it," she said, "I just don't have the time." I procrastinated, of course. A few months ago, she invited me to attend meetings of the Exchange Club but Wally's schedule on Thursdays kept getting in the way.

The outpouring of remembrances are overwhelming and touching. My heart goes out to Doris Stocklin, her aunt and godmother. "I don't know how I'm going to make it." The old are not supposed to bury the young. To her family, I say "Blessed are they that mourn for they will be comforted." To Ruth: "Well done, Good and faithful servant." Rest well.

Be Safe. Be Blessed.

No comments: