Pages

December 23, 2012

Christmas Memories

Donna Sanders hosted a very elegant affair for the ladies, on Friday evening, and we were asked to share our childhood Christmas memories. I decided that mine were not something that I wanted to share in polite company. However, as they mentioned the abundance of oranges, apples, nuts (something that I'd forgotten), live trees, etc., I remembered that my uncle would send a huge box of pecans from South Carolina. My mother worked for High's Dairy Store so eggnog was a staple during the Christmas season. Belatedly, after returning home, I remembered that my brother and I would wait for the broadcast of Dickens' "A Christmas Carol." I don't know if they still broadcast it but it set the right tone for Christmas Eve. And I remembered the neighbors caroling in the hallway of the apartment house. I couldn't wait to get old enough to be allowed to join in. I know that buried deep in the recesses of my mind are other pleasant memories of Christmas as I grew up. Perhaps my brother can fill in the blanks.

Things are getting hectic! Everyone is bustling about but Sistah Girl is taking it slow. Packages have been mailed; the food is in various stages of preparation. The decorations are up on the outside (although the wind wants to play havoc with them).  There is even a tree on the stage.  And, finally, the Christmas tree is FINISHED!

Now if my tree resembled any one of those decorated by Donna Sanders, I could understand why it took three weeks to complete. She starts in October...there's a tree in every room. I start in December. And, one tree is enough for me. But when I grow up, my house will be as tastefully and fully decorated as the Sanders' abode. When I grow up.

Why did it take so long, you ask? Let's start by saying that decorating the tree has never been my forte. Last year, I made a concerted effort to put everything away in an organized fashion. So organized until I can't find some of the treasured ornaments I've been given over the years. Hid them from myself. A habit of mine when I'm being organized.

Word of advice: Don't buy a cheap tree. Huge holes; not enough ornaments to fill them in. I was ready to throw my hands up in despair. Sheesh. Just as I decided that it was the best that I could do,  I discovered the sprays and fillers that I had purchased last year for those unsightly holes. Alrighty then!  A few more things remain to be done, then I'm kicking back until Tuesday morning. There's huge box with my name on it and I'm being very good in not yielding to temptation.


 Wishing every one a beautiful Christmas. Keep the old traditions going and start some new ones. Those memories are precious. As are the memories of those who have gone before us.


Be Safe. Be Blessed. 

No comments: