Pages

April 25, 2014

Alive and Well

I had so many things to tell you about and, because I am getting older, it has to be written down immediately.  But this is at the forefront of my mind and I'm putting it out there.  Yes, I'm alive and well but...racism is even more so.  Yeah, I said it.  In this small town and in this great country. But let me focus on this small town.

Covert racism abounds.  Let me say this to one and all...the color of my skin does not rub off when I'm touched.  It burns the hell out of me when I extend my hand in greeting and receive your damned fingertips in return.  Let me say this, so that it is clearly understood,  I don't really want to shake hands with you, either.  I'm just being polite.

To those who are trying to sell something, my cash, the last time I looked, is just as green as the next person's.  It is called legal tender. If your item is for sale, it is for sale to everyone. Or, you should try to do a private sale where people of color won't be exposed to your wares.

To the tradesmen who are barely scraping by:  your services come a dime a dozen.  Everybody in this town and surrounding areas carts a ladder, drill, and hammer.  Hell, I've got a few of those myself.  If I could still lift, tote, and carry, quite a few of those jobs, for which you are paid quite well, would never come your way.  Your number would never be called.  Continue to eke it out. I am only going to call you so many times.

Social invitations are just that...social.  I don't want to become your bosom buddy, hang out, yada yada.  If you turned down the invite, there won't be any more forthcoming.

Now that I've got that off of my chest, be assured that I am...alive and well.

Be safe.  Be Blessed.




No comments: