Pages

November 05, 2014

Can't Be Saved

Before you jump to conclusions, this is not a religious post condemning lost souls.  However, if you're honest about it, there are quite a few who just can't be saved. Nope, not going there.

I have finally found a house that just can't be saved.  Period.  Nothing to do but tear it it down. Period.  "Must be in bad shape, if you can't find the love, Sistah Girl." You know that it is in bad shape when I can't get excited about the possibilities and only see a disaster.

I was told that an acquaintance had purchased a house in Henning and that, although it was in bad shape, I would love it. When I got a call saying that if I wanted to see it--"come on down"--I couldn't get into clothes fast enough. Abby and I hightailed it through town and off to Henning. Now, I've told you about Henning before and how depressed the community is. This house adds nothing to it except for occupying a huge corner lot. TEAR IT DOWN!

I'd been told that it could not be insured.  REALLY?  Lawd, Lawd.  My heart just dropped when I pulled up in front of the house.  TEAR IT DOWN!  Fascia boards rotted and missing; half of the roof gone; columns supporting the concrete front porch buckling.  Even the tarp covering a portion of the roof is shredded beyond belief.  Lawd, Lawd.  And that's just the outside.

"Come on in!"  Expectancy is high.  Okay, I can see the potential.  Pocket doors...I love them.  A den or sunroom off of the living room.  Love it. Another large room across from the living room. Large fireplace in the living room, another in the dining room.  Lots of windows. Show me more.

Lawd, Lawd.  Somebody's DIY skills went terribly awry. An addition to the back portion of the house requires 3 to 4 steps down (with metal handrails instead of wooden) and the ceiling slopes downward so steeply until it would be difficult to stand in the back of the room. Add popcorn smush to the ceiling and wall through which an awkward archway was cut and it is a MESS.  Through that arch and into the kitchen. Someone tried to take a country kitchen and make it into an eat-in kitchen with breakfast bar.  I get the concept and, if it had been done correctly, would have been nice. Oh, look, a stairwell from upstairs into the kitchen.  In the ritzy days, that was known as the servant's stairs.  I love them.

The deck off of the kitchen has disintegrated.  No other word for it.  Looks like the railroad ties that belong to my neighbor. TEAR IT DOWN.   A room has been created with drywall that does not go to the ceiling.  I believe it enclosed the bathroom.  An electric cord dangles from a hole in the ceiling (not a light fixture or wiring, good friends--an electric cord). Two other real rooms before you get back to the front of the house.  I didn't try to get upstairs.  Too far to fall if the floor didn't hold.

Yes, I can see the potential.  I also see that it would take far too much money to make the necessary repairs. We're talking many thousands of dollars. Unless you  plan to live in it, you certainly couldn't sell it for the money you put into it. Tear it down.  It can't be saved!

Be safe.  Be Blessed.



  

No comments: