Pages

October 06, 2019

In Desperate Need

My outfit, right down to the jewelry and hosiery, was laid out and ready to be packed. I knew that the jacket fit; I had tried that on when the outfit arrived months ago. It was purchased for a more joyous occasion; not for the death of a loved one.

I had resisted my friend's suggestion that I try on the suit a few days before.  But now that little voice said: "try on the pants." OMG, they didn't fit anywhere. Too big in the waist; too big in the hips; too big in the legs; too long.  WTH?  This is a brand name outfit. Did they confuse the orders, sending a pair of pants which belonged to a larger size?  Doesn't matter. It is 10:30 at night. I have to leave at 4:30 in the morning for the drive to Nashville. My plane leaves from there. 

Thank God that I know a little about sewing. I can take in the waistline and hem the pants. Pulled out the black thread and needle.  But there's this thing called difficulty in threading a needle.  Takes a lot of time. Alrighty then, let's start with the waistband.  Sheez, that tuck didn't help at all.

Okay, here's the deal. I cannot make these pants fit, get sleep, and be alert for the drive in the dark. I've already told you that I have a problem with driving in the dark in Tennessee.  I'm not taking any chances. Fortunately, I will have two days to work on them; the funeral is Saturday. Placed the outfit and the needle and thread in the suitcase.

However, I need to find someone who does alterations in Harrisburg and will be able to turn this disaster around in two days time in case I can't.  Google to the rescue.  Using Thumbtack.com, I located several prospects in the Harrisburg area and sent off my emails. Surely someone would answer my call of distress.

Of the four emails requesting information on their availability, only one person responded. They would be able to see me on Friday evening.  Well, that's not going to work...unless they can fix the pants while I wait. The funeral is in Jersey, a two-hour drive away, on Saturday. After a flurry of emails, they asked if I could bring them over that evening.  Could I?  You betcha.

Hear me, now. Jose and his wife, Helen, literally saved my life. My alternative would have been to purchase a new outfit. Jose remade those pants. Three inches of fabric had to be removed from each leg. He said that the manufacturer had put more fabric in the front than in the back. I left their home on Friday evening with a perfectly pressed pair of slacks that had been hemmed to the right length and which fit this matronly body.  My eternal gratitude to this couple.  I only wish that I lived in the Harrisburg area because I would become a regular customer.

For those living in the Harrisburg area, make note of their information. Your Tailor, LLC. (717) 695-3118.  I would not steer you wrong

https://www.thumbtack.com/pa/harrisburg/tailors-and-seamstresses/your-tailor-llc/service/271040614206670064

And what lessons did you learn from this, Missy?  When you order something online, try it on immediately. The whole outfit.



And, yes, my birthday suit needs serious alterations.  Working on it. 

Be Safe. Be Blessed.




No comments: