Pages

December 23, 2019

Christmas Traditions

I have to admit that I have very few.  What about you?

I do love a live tree at Christmas; however, I haven't had one since I moved to Tennessee.  Don't they have trees for sale there, Missy? They do but I don't have what is a necessity in these parts--a truck.  So I have an assortment of trees:

  • a 6 foot, scrawny, tree which really needs to be trashed
  • a 7.5 flocked tree (which I promise will be decorated by Christmas Day)
  • and a set of trees in urns for the porch
I have lost two other trees since being here but with one closet devoted primarily to Christmas trimmings, it is not a big loss.

Speaking of trimmings, I have some of the ornaments from the first tree Kevin and I had when we moved from my parents. Pitiful-looking but of sentimental value. I had no spare money to buy a lot of ornaments but I saw a kit of unpainted ornaments that we could paint.  I painted but the project  didn't hold my son's attention. Looking at them now, they could use a little touch-up.  Also of sentimental value are the ornaments I have received over the past 46 years.  Lucy Murphy's (nee Toland) star (she was from Dallas, TX) comes to mind immediately. All carefully packed away each year and moved from household to household to be put on display the following year.  As I hang them on the tree, I remember the person who gave them to me. Friendships of long ago have become cherished memories. And how could I forget the gorgeous ornament given to me by Carol Weeks for my birthday, last year. 

Then there is the collection of Christmas objects which I was amazed to see has grown. Angels, Santas, ornate sleighs, and a few stockings thrown in for good measure. 

I haven't decorated for the past few years. The last time that I did,  it took me months to get them all organized and put away. Hadn't planned to decorate this year. However, the granddaughter is coming so there are totes full of wreaths, ribbons, ornaments, lights, you name it, strewn from the back to the front. Money being spent like it grows on one of those Christmas trees. Presents to be bought, food to be cooked, activities to be planned. 

So what's on the docket, Missy?  A trip to Incredible Pizza with her friend, Regina, who is also visiting over the holidays.  Then, we're going to have a dinner party. Not a party but dinner with guests. An opportunity to set a pretty table.  I'm psyched. 

I saw a recipe for these cakes that I think she and her mom will enjoy making.  Aren't they the cutest things?  The menu? A normal holiday dinner with ham and chicken, greens and asparagus, candied yams, Claudia Joplin's world famous potato salad, Gwen's rolls, those cute little cakes, sweet potato pie, ice cream, coffee, tea, and sodas. 

I sure hope she has a happy memory of visiting GiGi at Christmas. Perhaps it will be the start of a Christmas tradition.

All the Best.




No comments: