Pages

May 22, 2007

I Have a Testimony

The Lord is good and He is worthy, He is worthy, He is worthy to be praised.I will praise God's name in song and glorify him with thanksgiving.Psalm 69:30, New International Version.

I have a lot to give thanks for. This turned out to be my day, after all. Late this morning, I received the call I had been waiting for. After so many delays, I had assumed that this would be another day of waiting. Talking about great joy when I learned that settlement on my house would take place at 1:00 p.m. Was that convenient? Was it ever. I sent excited emails to the advisors and started getting ready. Needed to stop by the bank for the cashier's check (which I should have gotten yesterday when I was given the figures). Yes, I, too, procrastinate.

It's 11:30 a.m. Dressed. Makeup (my face recoiled in shock), curls burned into the hair. Was I moving fast or what? Made sure I had my traveling essentials: camera, cigs, phone. Oops, need a fresh set of checks. Grabbed the cleaning supplies I had amassed. On the way to the door. Forgot the trash. Where's the slip of paper with the amount I need? Where are my glasses? Can't find my glasses. Retrace the steps, look on every flat surface; no glasses. Try it again. No glasses. You see, I can see without glasses but I can't read. And, as this shows, misplace them so often, I leave them on my face. Besides you'd be surprised at how much reading you do in the course of day. NO GLASSES! Now, this is insane. Okay, I've got some reading glasses somewhere. Find them and start gathering things again. As I pass the sofa, there they are, blending in with the throw pillows very nicely. Why would you lay them there? I was excited!

It is now 12 noon. I still have to make the bank (not far) and drive an hour to reach Ripley. This is awful! I've waited all this time and now I'm late? Bank transaction went smoothly. One of the cashiers was named Gwendolyne. Her mother added an e to the end of it. Check in hand, out I go. 12:30 p.m. Called the realtor, whose husband had quadruple by-pass surgery last week , and she has stayed with him Memphis. She called everyone concerned and let them know I was on my way.

Amazingly, I was keyed in on the drive and saw things I had missed on previous trips. Was it because I now knew that I had a home and could relax?

Made Ripley with no problems. Entered the square without incident. Checked in at the realtors' office so they would know I was there and walked the half block to the attorney's. There I met Miss Dorothy, a very good friend of the seller's and who has been a caretaker for the house. She is sitting in for the seller. A very sweet woman. Into the attorney's inner sanctum. Took all of 20 minutes, if that. Check and keys were exchanged. Boy Howdy!

Miss Dorothy told me that the seller would turn 99 in September. She and the attorney told me that you never saw her without a hat. A small something for weekdays; a huge hat on Sundays. Slim and erect. She bought the house in 1944. She sent her blessings and wishes that I would enjoy the same amount of happiness there that she had. I, in turn, told Miss Dorothy to assure her that I would take very good care of her house. You betcha! One of the key rings contained the letter C as a charm. The seller's first name begins with a C and my middle initial is a C. Is this a sign?

Settlement over, I'm directed across the street to file the deed. Also given the directions for the utility companies. Into the Lauderdale County courthouse I go. Everyone is extremely friendly. And the same questions echo: Why Ripley? Got any friends?

Next stop: Light company. Good thing I registered the deed first because that is my proof of residency. Gas company next where I meet another Gwendolyn. Two in one day? Unheard of. I can go for years without meeting someone else with this name, now two in one day? What do you make of that? Now for insurance. Mr. Briggs remembered my name. It's been three weeks at least since we discussed quotes. On the walls of his office the heads of two deer and a mounted fish on another wall. I am in hunter's paradise. I want to tell him that the deer heads should be on another wall (beautiful racks) but it is his office and he can decorate any way he wants. He asked if I had been enjoying my time. I replied that I've spent it getting lost so I really haven't seen too much; that I'd bought a GPS. His turn to laugh. Says he's been know to get lost a time or two, himself, especially in the woods while hunting. His kids gave him a GPS for Christmas and he hasn't taken the time to learn how to use it. Sounds familiar. He continues to rely on his compass. Old habits die hard.

Tags and license next. Back to the courthouse? If I'd known that I would have taken care of that while I was there. No tags. Why not, you say? No title; no TN driver's license. Now I know.

Give this a minute's thought and then catch up with the story. When is the last time you've actually walked into a utility company's offices and received top notch service? Smiles? Friendly attitudes? When is the last time you've been able to walk in? Period. Time to catch up; I'm moving fast.

Back to the realtors' to say thanks and gather Abby. We're going home! I have to walk my estate. But first, I have to talk to the barber who ruined my hair. Closed. Just as well. But we will talk, make no mistake. Navigated the square and arrived at my new home. Pulled into the driveway like I owned it. I do!!!!

Started to walk the estate. What's this, a rag in my yard? Looks like a towel. Oh, no! It's a dead kitten. Oh, no! Somebody has got to move this dead animal 'cause I sure am not. Nor am I going to walk any further. Might be another unpleasant surprise waiting on the other side.

Go in and take a fine survey. Each visit previously has been a quick in and out. I know that I could have taken more time but there's a difference when you can do it on your own. Tried taking mental notes on what needed to done and what needed to be purchased. Not working. Let's try pen and paper; that's not working either. Tape recorder in the camera bag. Now, we're cooking! Glass door knobs, metal doorknobs, porcelain doorknobs. Saw light fixtures I'd missed before. Still need to purchase some though and can switch some from their present location to another spot or change the covers. Why? Some of the wall lights are from the 50/60's era; the black metal-cone like lights that usually accompanied Danish or contemporary furniture. Imagine an old track-lighting system and you'll get the image. They are still out there but not at 122, thank you.

This is going to be a lot of work!!! Take out "Awesome" and pour some on the hearth. Works. Tried some on the mantle. Works. Tried some on the wooden door, just a test patch, and it works. If you haven't tried Awesome, you have missed out on one of the best cleaning products there is. You can do visit the web site or you can visit your local--are you ready for this--Dollar Store. That's right. I don't know if every store carries it but I was glad to see it in the one near here. I'll be back tomorrow to buy more.

By now you know there is always a fly in the ointment. My fly was cracking the glass in the font door. Things were going just too smoothly weren't they?

I've called the advisors and let them know that settlement is over and I am in the house. Also called Gladys and as I'm talking to her, I see something I had not noticed earlier in the yard by the garage. I tell Gladys it is a rabbit, no it's not a rabbit, from this distance it looks like a piece of wood. Then it turned its head. What is this thing? City girl has never seen anything like it. And, I don't like what I'm seeing. What if it is rabid? I have to get to my car and this thing is in the yard near it. Good grief! Whatever it is, it has to go. It is not paying rent. I tell Gladys it looks like a woodchuck. How would I know; I've never seen a real life woodchuck before. (My brother tells me it is a groundhog and to smoke him out. ) I'll wait for some male intervention, thank you. Thank goodness that he disappeared as soon as I came out of the door. I know I'll have to deal with him sooner or later. However, he is alive. I still have a dead cat to deal with. Couldn't he have died somewhere else?

It is now 6 p.m. Time to leave the rural abode and return to my temporary (how sweet that sounds) quarters.



1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hey Sis you spend a lot of time in Home Depot, they sell a pooper scooper, that can pick up your kitten. Now what are you going to do with it, i guess a burial is in order.