Pages

April 30, 2008

New Roots

Exactly one year ago, today, I arrived in the great state of Tennessee. Excited, nervous, and very tired. Physically and emotionally. It's a long drive from D.C., to TN, even with a layover. And the tumult I'd been through the previous year added to the exhaustion. So here I am, not where I'd planned to be--Ripley is light-years away from Memphis--and my plans haven't quite worked out the way they were envisioned...but you know what they say about the best laid plans. I have lots to be thankful for.

The great city of Ripley experienced a mini-killing spree within a few days of each other. A photograph of one of the suspects, whom I'd met several times, appeared on the front page of the weekly paper. I feel badly for everyone concerned. Such a sad turn of affairs--young lives cut short, turned upside down and inside out. The proverbial love triangle; bad choices on everyone's part. A baby whose father will now spend most, if not all, of his life in jail. The other victim was a mentally-impaired teenager, robbed of his disability check, shot and killed on a playground. Terrible. Ripley Murders

Yesterday was glorious. You would have thought that Wednesday had been designated as lawn day on Lafayette. Everybody, including me, was mowing, cutting, and trimming. Of course, everybody completed their tasks, except me. I was still struggling at sunset. So you know I wasn't too thrilled with a comment from the peanut gallery as I fought with the lawn mower, one more time. Help or shut up. Maybe it will start up this morning. Needless to say, I'm not eager to try and finish and hit Wally World on the same day.

The dining room is on temporary hold. The dissolution of the partnership between the pair hired to do the work, put an end to the labor. He can't do it alone. Geez, get some help. Why am I the one left hanging?

I'll spare you my reactions to the Obama/Wright debacle. (Note to Obama: There's something else coming.) I thought Michelle Obama handled herself very well in the interview with CNN, last night. I was also amused by the political spin which had her seated with Caroline Kennedy, although Caroline received very few questions. Someone determined that the notion of the Obamas as the "new Kennedys" needed to be further imbedded. Please.

For those of you who prayed me down the road, keep on praying. I need it. Happy May Day.

No comments: