Pages

August 03, 2008

Opportunity Meets Mr. Murphy


Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
- Thomas A. Edison


Don't you just love this? Well, Mr. Edison. I've worked all my life and seem to miss Opportunity when it comes knocking. Now since I'm not afraid of hard work (that does not mean that I like it), Murphy's Law must be the reason why I always miss the knock.

Mr. Murphy is trying his damnedest to make Mr. Opportunity sail on by again. I've worked and worked on this cover letter, driving patient friends mad with revisions 1, 2, and 3. Overhauled the resume, even broke out the resume software, purchased years ago, because I want this to fly. So what's the problem? Printer is out of ink. Deja vu. I don't understand why the printer always goes down when it is needed most. It sits here collecting dust--does the ink evaporate? Not an issue. I can always use the library to print IF my employer doesn't have the ink cartridge on hand.

Mr. Murphy has also tinkered with the lawn mower which just won't start. I guess he knows that it is too damned hot to be out doing the yard but what about the morning when I was out at 6:30 a.m.? It'll start. Sometime.

In the meantime, the grass has gone to seed. It is a huge dust bowl where the hounds are. The rose bushes are blooming sporadically, both front and back. The bushes at the rear are in bloom; two white, and one fuschia. I don't know what they are but they are all over town. And the Rose of Sharon is in bloom. The "ghetto bush," JB. Pecans are on the tree. I guess all that nitrogen helped them out. That is a huge tree. Definitely needs some pruning next year.

Put in my first full day as Training Coordinator. There's a lot to learn. I had to keep reminding my trainer to slow down. After all, after 12 years, this is old hat to her. Doesn't give time to make notes. Wally is highly computerized. Other organizations could learn a lesson or two. Word is starting to spread of my change in position. Several people had kind words. A road trip to Milan, over an hour away, is scheduled for Friday. They are without an HR person and need some help. I'm looking forward to it though I've been told I probably won't learn much. Everything is a learning situation.

The mayor of Jackson, MS, is scheduled to go to trial for violating someone's civil rights. Seems he and two others took a sledgehammer to some property that they felt was drug-ridden and the source of a much crime. Got fed up and took matters into his own hands. Don't know whether the property owner filed the suit or what. But "violating civil rights"? Really?

Loved that Paris Hilton comeback. Silly is as silly does.

No comments: