Pages

September 16, 2008

Living Just Enough

“Our whole life is taken up with anxiety for personal security, with preparations for living, so that we really never live at all.”
    — Leo Tolstoy
Talking about timely! It was in my head as I drove the 24 miles from Ripley to Dyersburg and thinking that here it is, the start of fall, and the entire year-and-a-half that I've been here has been spent in anxiety (some days more than others)--what if ; how will I; I need. We won't deal with the I wants. No fun time...no exploring my new home--gas is too high or I'm at work during the events that I would like to attend. Don't misunderstand. This is not a pity party or regrets on making the move. I can find something pleasant almost daily: the beauty of a lone cardinal on the fence, trees in bloom, the antics of the silly dogs (when they were here), etc. But it is an an observation that my sole activity is work--for personal security, with preparations for living, and I'm not "living" at all. The days are spent preparing to go to work or resting from being at work. There must be more to life than this.

Tennessee is nothing if not green. That was the first impression I had of it when I crossed the state line and it remains. It would be nice to know what is growing in the fields that I pass but it's not necessary. Farming is not in my immediate future so I just admire the nicely tended rows and rows of whatever it is that is thriving. But back to the subject.

So I came out of the Dyersburg store to learn that the financial world is on end and the quote stood out more clearly. People have scrimped and saved, done without, put their trust in the "wisdom" of financial advisers, so that they would have personal security, preparing for living, to enjoy the good life, retirement, etc., only to find that they will not achieve that dream. Talking about anxiety! Good grief!

Where to cast the blame? We don't have a net that is big enough to cover the multitude of sins. Lack of oversight, greed, corruption. Charges being thrown by everybody. Excuse me, but hasn't that been the trend for the last several years? The Keating Scandal, in which John McCain escaped prosecution but we don't talk about that. Enron. Abramoff. Corporations going under and their CEO's getting multimillion dollar parachutes. Heads of corporations being called in for a congressional "investigation". Puleeze. But the end is not in sight and no one has a workable plan. And if they do, it will take years before it takes effect.

I'm ending on a prime example of the pot calling the kettle black. Talking about Baroness Lynn Forester de Rothchild. Who is she to call someone an elitist? Think about it, folks. In her media appearances she touts her middle-class background, how her father worked two jobs, and she worked to obtain what she now has. A member of the jet set; the rich and the famous. Of course, marrying more money...and a title... didn't hurt. Obama's background is a little more deprived than hers and he, too, worked his way into becoming a millionaire. His wife came into the marriage without the benefit of lineage, titles, or money. NOT a member of the jet set. The Baroness, when asked to justify her charge that Obama is an elitist, responds that "you know it when you see it." I guess it takes one to know one. Is this a case of Obama being the "uppity Negro"? Doesn't know his place? Please. Somebody please tell her how stupid she sounds. Ask her to fade into the background. McCain find someone else, more credible (and that's going to be hard to do unless you ask someone with NO money), to make the charge.

It's going to be another gorgeous day here in Tennessee. Enjoy yours.

No comments: