Pages

December 21, 2008

What a Week

Shoes being thrown...at the President of the U.S. of A, no less. Brought to mind Eddie Murphy's routine about the shoe-throwing mother. (If you haven't heard it, click on the link.) I swanee, I have never laughed so hard. Got to give it to Bush, though, the man has tremendous reflexes.

And let's not forget the weather. Cold, serious fog, ice, rain, and that was just in my neck of the woods. Friday brought temps in the 70's and people forgot that it was the middle of December, the first day of winter two days away, and broke out shorts, t-shirts, the whole enchilada. Needless to say that today (Sunday), while sunny and bright, is c-o-l-d. But, I feel for you folks up north. Glad I'm not there.

It's Christmas week. Have you completed your shopping? Walmart moms and dads are packing the joint. Phones ringing off the hook. "Do you have any wiis?" No. Why did you wait so late? Got dragooned into working in the electronics department Friday and Saturday. Why? Not enough people scheduled. Get real...it's Christmas time...one person cannot hold down that department. Talking about a madhouse. And, as noted in an earlier blog, I don't know squat about the latest games, systems, etc. Ipod, MP3 player, wii, Nintendo lite--all over my head. Hats off to the folks in that section. I straggled home Friday, aching all over. Saturday, I straggled in, laid down for a nap. Woke up two hours later completely confused. I thought I had overslept and was late for my good job. Then I couldn't figure out what day it was. Lord, a mercy. Come on Wednesday evening. So how did I manage last year? Wasn't anywhere near a cash register or phone.

The store held its Christmas dinner this week. The food was good but you know that you can't please everyone. The grumbling started when it was announced that the same caterer would provide the food. I don't know what the complaint was...she stepped all in the green beans and served a corn dish that was unbelievable. Not a corn pudding but a combination of yellow and shoepeg corn in a sweet sauce. I'd kill for the recipe. Not enough sage in the stuffing. Don't like it? Don't eat it. Ham, turkey, fried and roasted chicken, stuffing, mashed potatoes, cranberry sauce, tea, chocolate cake, banana pudding, chess pie, and pecan pie. Decided I'd give the chess pie, a staple in this neck of the woods, a try. Not bad. Won't replace my favorites, however. Another staple, hot-water cornbread, was also on the menu. The batter is fried, rather than baked. Resembled dollar-sized pancakes. I wasn't excited about it; maybe if they'd been hot.

The night crew thought that they had been overlooked again. So they called the district personnel manager. What they didn't know was that nemesis had ordered for them also and that their food was stored for them to enjoy that night. She finally got that right. Feelings of exclusion have long been a complaint from that quarter.

Thought I saw Cindy across the street at the library and started clapping like crazy. The dog turned and came across the street. As it got closer, I realized that it was one of Cindy's black and white pals and not her. Came in and closed the door. Did a scan on several adoption sites and see a few pups that I like. I'll give it more thought after Christmas.

Got the closet door hung, all by myself. It'll probably fall down but I didn't have to spend any money. Still working on that tub. I don't have a clue as to the nature of the sediment that calcified in it on but, after continuous soakings, it is starting to slowly, very slowly, come off.

Thanks for the cards. My greetings will be sent electronically, as usual. Have a good week.


No comments: