Pages

January 20, 2009

What a Feeling!

When peace like a river, attendeth my way,
When sorrows like sea billows roll;
Whatever my lot, Thou hast taught me to say,
It is well, it is well, with my soul.

Refrain:
It is well, with my soul,
It is well, with my soul,
It is well, it is well, with my soul.

The refrain to this great hymn came to mind while watching the inauguration. I can hear Greater First's organ and Sister Couser's soprano. It may not be fitting for some but it says a lot to me. A feeling of peace.

I don't know about you but I experienced a roller coaster of emotions from the moment I turned on my television set at 6:20 a.m., and saw a mass of people on the mall and it was half-way filled. I savored every sight of familiar landmarks and kicked myself for taking them for granted through my half-century of living in that magnificent city. I cried when Obama took the oath; laughed with Lowery; didn't understand the poem; and admired 'Retha's hat. I even felt empathy for "W" as he lifted off from the Capitol grounds. See 'ya! The sun continues to shine, the tides rise and fall, and it is well with my soul.

Now, let's dish the dirt. Michelle looked fab-u-lous! Loved that outfit. And the little girls looked like--little girls. Thank you, Jesus. I've watched many an inauguration and I have NEVER seen the incoming prez present a gift to the outgoing one. If they did, I missed it. Way to go, Obamas, a touch of class.

No drama Obama; Joe Cool. We finally saw a touch of nerves when he fumbled the oath of office. Some clown on Fox cable said it was the worse oath taking he'd ever seen; I turned him off quickly. Especially after he said the speech was mediocre. I don't know about you and I'm no speech writer but I thought that there were several passages of note. My favorite (and this might change after I read it again) was the close when he quoted George Washington. I liked it.

To my homies, Jay and Dee, thanks for the calls. It meant so much to hear from home on this great day.



How appropriate.

No comments: