Pages

January 02, 2012

A Hat Tale

The hats were pulled out in preparation for my trip to church on Christmas Sunday.  Since I have only attended one church since I've been here, I don't know whether folks wear hats or not but I'm not passing up the opportunity. They were all over the place. Fortunately, unlike my body, my head has not increased in size. And a good hat never goes out style.

I didn't make it to church on Christmas Day because the cold had knocked me flat. I made plans to attend on New Year's Day with another couple.  I was committed because: 1.) I'd promised to attend and 2.) my pastor, Rev. Dr. Winston C. Ridley, of Greater First Baptist Church, had called and asked if I'd found a church home.

Google Morning Star Baptist Church and see if  you can find the times for service. MIA. When the phone rang at 10 a.m., on Sunday morning, to find out if I was still going...the answer was N O T.   NOTE:  If you're inviting me anywhere, I need more than an hour's notice.  There's a lot of body to get ready and,  as noted previously, the clothes just might not fit.  Anyway, the upside to all of this is...the church was closed. I learned today that the service was held at 8 a.m., instead of the usual 11 a.m. service.

So today, I am putting away the hats and admiring those which I had purchased from Estella's Hats, in D.C. Decided to see whether she had a web site.  When looking at a property in Harrisburg, PA, which included a space which would have been ideal for a hat shop, I contacted Ms. Wheeler for advice.  I wound up in Ripley and the rest is history. 

No web site for Estella's Hats. However, I learned that she passed a month after I landed in TN.  National Public Radio (NPR) had interviewed her in 2004 and I agree wholeheartedly with the assessment that she "knew her hats." Take a moment to read about Estella Wheeler who, without a doubt, had the baddest hat shop in town.

Be safe.  Be Blessed.

No comments: