Pages

May 01, 2013

The Right to Bear Arms

Since the massacre of Newtown, approximately 4 thousand people have been killed or shot as a result of gun violence. Daily reports out of Memphis relate shootings and murders as, I'm sure, similar reports are made all over the nation.   But this article is mind-boggling:

BURKESVILLE, Ky. (AP) — A 5-year-old boy accidentally shot his 2-year-old sister to death in rural southern Kentucky with a rifle he had received as a gift last year, authorities said.  http://news.yahoo.com/5-old-boy-shoots-2-old-sister-ky-161229579.html
 5-Year-Old Shoots 2-year-old Sister
Who, in their right effing mind, would give a real gun to a 5-year-old child?

Last week, while assisting a former coworker's husband and daughter (she is 7 or 8), we spotted a pink rifle in the display case. "Daddy, I want one."  "Nope, you can get hurt with that."  Thank you, Jesus! A voice of reason. 

Not so from my esteemed senator, Lamar Alexander, who received one of my infamous emails re his vote on the gun control bills in the Senate. His response:

Dear Gwendolyn,
Thanks very much for getting in touch with me and letting me know what’s on your mind regarding the right to bear arms.


I’m a strong supporter of Second Amendment rights and I received an “A” rating from the National Rifle Association in their most recent ranking of my voting record.  Congress should strongly defend our right to keep and bear arms, not pass laws that take away these rights from law abiding citizens and leave criminals to terrorize the streets.  Good citizens don’t abuse guns – criminals do.  I will continue fighting to protect the Second Amendment rights of law abiding Americans, and oppose efforts to overturn the Second Amendment.

I also believe that those of us who oppose efforts to restrict gun rights should be willing to stand up on the Senate floor and defend those rights. I supported a motion to permit debate on this subject because I am always ready to defend and debate the Second Amendment Constitutional rights of Tennesseans.
 

Overall, I was proud of the debate that we had, and pleased that the Senate rejected efforts to weaken the 2nd Amendment.  I opposed the Toomey-Manchin amendment to expand background checks and the Feinstein amendment on so-called “assault weapons” because I believe they would have infringed on our Second Amendment rights.

I am grateful you took the time to let me know where you stand.  I’ll be sure to keep your comments in mind as Second Amendment rights are discussed and debated in Washington and in Tennessee.

Sincerely,

Lamar
Since he is proud of his standing with the NRA and willfully disregards the country's guarantee to "life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness," I won't waste more time with him.  Reelection is around the corner and I'll speak loudly and clearly at the polling booth. Senator Alexander, I, too, will be very proud of my vote...against you.

I don't have the space to list all of the murders but they are not limited to one geographical area. Or, to a particular class or race. Gun violence affects us all, directly and indirectly.  Take a trip to a rehab facility and see the number of patients recovering from gun-inflicted wounds.  Who is paying for their rehab?  For the most part, it is you and I. Visit with a grieving parent or family member whose relative may have been an innocent bystander.  Take a look at Gabby Giffords and rejoice in her indomitable spirit.  Know that the Lord works miracles.

I am not against guns; however, if I must register my car, renew my passport, carry a Social Security card, and a driver's license, please tell me what the problem is with expanded background checks or even...blasphemy...registering a gun?  Come on, people, you're already listed in every government database there is and probably some that you don't know about.  THINK, dammit.

And think about this...the government isn't coming for your guns; you don't need a military-type assault weapon; nor will your mini-arsenal stop the military IF they come to your neighborhood.  Sheesh.

Be Safe. Be Blessed. 


No comments: